The foundations of Glass Technology Services Ltd lay with Professor W. E. S. Turner and other renowned glass experts within the University of Sheffield at the start of the twentieth Century. Responding to a lack of specialist glass research and support at the time, these experts formed a dedicated glass research department within the university. The success of this department led to continued expansion and it established a worldwide reputation for excellence.
On 9 October 1954, the department became a separate commercial entity and then on Saturday, 6th June 1959, opened its own dedicated building and laboratories and became known as the British Glass Industry Research Association (BGIRA).
In 1988, BGIRA merged with the Glass Manufacturers Federation (GMF), to form British Glass Manufacturers' Confederation, and it was at this same time that British Glass Technology was formed as a separate, independent, entity to continue the essential work that was carried out under the research arm of BGIRA.
In 1999, British Glass Technology was officially renamed as Glass Technology Services Ltd - taking on its current name that remains to this day.
In 2003, having outgrown the existing facilities, Glass Technology Services Ltd was relocated to new, purpose-built, premises, including state of the art laboratories, warehousing and offices in order to facilitate the growing support provided across the glass-supply chain – and the seemingly exponential growth in demand for product testing, verification of standards, and research, development and troubleshooting.
Glass Technology Services continues to go from strength-to-strength – and has invested over £500,000 over recent years in new staff, training, equipment, IT and infrastructure to ensure that Glass Technology Services continues to provide the international glass supply chain - from raw material suppliers to consumers - with the full range of support needed to ensure standards are met, to investigate and resolve issues and to innovate and develop new technologies and products.