We're delighted to announce that an exciting new vacancy at Glass Technology Services is open for applications.
The successful candidate will carry out basic laboratory duties including the preparation of samples, supporting colleagues to undertake glass testing and analysis, and following training, will carry out a range of technical work across different departments. There will also be the opportunity to get involved in research and consultancy projects. In-house training and development will be provided alongside studying towards a recognised qualification with a local training provider/college.
- Undertaking physical testing of glass products to determine strength and basic fracture analysis
- Quality assurance checks of glass products including dimensional checks and stress evaluation
- Sample preparation of glass products and chemicals where required
- Chemical analysis of glass and chemicals used in glass manufacture using wet chemistry methods and analytical equipment
- Assist in the routine maintenance and calibration of analytical and testing equipment
- Transposition of test results and the preparation of draft routine test reports
- Maintain clear and accurate records of all work carried out
- Carrying out necessary checks to ensure appropriate accuracy of the work done
- Carry out related admin and other tasks as required
- Ensure familiarity with all relevant risk assessments before beginning any work
- Work in a responsible manner and in accordance with the British Glass Health & Safety Policy
- Ensuring that own work conforms to the requirements of the various Company quality systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ISO 17025).
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum GCSE grade 4in English, Maths and Science or equivalent qualifications
- Typically: 112 UCAS points. This must include at least 64 points from two A levels or equivalent BTEC National qualifications to include mathematics or a mathematics-based subject to at least AS level. For example:
- BBC at A Level including mathematics or a mathematics-based subject plus at least one other from physics, physical science, engineering science, computer science, technology, chemistry or other science or technology subject.
- DMM in BTEC Extended Diploma in a science or technology-based subject (including passes in mathematics and two other science or technology-based modules)
- A combination of qualifications which must include mathematics or a mathematics-based subject and may include AS levels, EPQ and general studies GCSE.
- Considerations will be given, under the discretion of the course leader, for applicants with appropriate work experience, through SHU's recognition of prior learning (RPL) process. Apprentices who have RPL either English Language or Maths GCSEs at grade 4 or above will be required to gain this/these formal qualification/s before completion of the Degree Apprenticeship.
- Demonstrable interest in laboratory and technical work
- Understanding of properties of materials
- Ability to analyse and solve problems
- Good communications skills in both written and spoken English
- Good IT skills including an ability to use Microsoft Office packages such as Word and Excel
- Able to work on own initiative
- Good team worker.