This one-day introductory course is designed to give delegates a broad understanding of glass as a material - including raw materials, manufacture, processing, use, the properties of glass and its environmental impact - and combines both theory and practical sessions including giving delegates the opportunity to form their own glass product using our on-site glass melting facilities.
The course is delivered in an informative, interactive, format by specialists in their respective fields. Key topics from manufacture, processing and fundamental chemistry to glass properties, defects and failure are covered in an accessible format - making this an ideal introduction for anyone working in glass or otherwise dealing with glass products or issues.
Places are strictly limited in order to encourage an informal atmosphere, increased levels of interaction and participation, hands-on practical sessions and opportunities for delegates to focus on examples specific to their own areas of work and experience.
Whether delegates design, make, source, sell or reuse glass, this course will provide them with the understanding to improve their work with this complex material.
- Introduction to the glass sector;
- Glass forming processes;
- Properties and uses of glass;
- Inspection and quality control;
- Glass batch and melting;
- Common glass defects and their causes;
- Glass furnaces and melting technology;
- Surface protection and coatings.
- Forming a glass object;
- Testing glass products for strength;
- Identifying different types of glass to remove contaminants from glass collected for recycling;
- Experimenting with different glass coatings to observe the effect these have on the glass product.
- Glass manufacturers;
- Retailers and brand owners;
- Recycling organisations;
- Glazing manufacturers;
- Equipment suppliers;
- Environmental professionals.
This course is available to individual organisations, associations and consortiums - please enquire if you would like a course for your own company or team.
The following hosted courses are available:
- Tuesday, 26 March 2019
- Tuesday, 10 September 2019
Booking and further information
For further information or to book a place please email us or call +44 (0) 114 290 1801.
Glass Technology Services have welcomed new, stricter analyt...
Latest Case Studies
A customer producing articles manufactured from two differen...